Proven success in association management core competencies
Florida Magazine Association
Association management generally concerns similar tasks despite the industry represented. Those tasks include human resource development and management, financial management, meeting management, IT management, communications and public relations management, and project management.
The very best among association management firms also offer membership recruitment and retention strategies; are knowledgeable of tax-exempt accounting and GAAP standards; are experienced in development of non-dues revenue and fundraising; are compliance specialists and are concerned with the laws and regulations as they pertain to associations specifically.
We possess the most important qualities and properties in an association management firm, regardless of area served: expertise in key management tasks like recruitment and event management; national and international reach and the capability to apply strategies across ever-wider geographies; and most importantly, a record of achievement.
Providing an Executive Director is part of our association management full-time and full-service package. The Executive Director is handpicked, experienced, and vetted. This person plays a critical role in the daily work of the association, so selecting an Executive Director is not a decision to make lightly. The Executive Director will work closely with the Board to implement policy, procedure and programmatic change. Because of his industry experience, Greg is an obvious choice for Executive Director. As part of this function, we will:
- Provide a full time office for the receipt of mail, visitors, occasional business-related meetings, and telephone calls.
- Provide telephone coverage during regular business hours five days per week.
- Provide a fax line for the organization
- Provide separate phone lines and voice mailboxes for each person who works on IMC management.
- Provide one general e-mail address for IMC business, plus individual addresses for each person responsible to IMC.
- Under the direction of the Chair and Executive Committee, interact with IMC-selected attorneys.
- Provide full time professional to serve as Executive Director of IMC. In October 2012, IMC established the IMC USA Foundation, a 501(c)3 organization.
- The current Executive Director of IMC serves as Executive Director of the Foundation. It is anticipated that this will continue until the Foundation reaches sufficient size to warrant a separate Executive Director.
AMC Source occupies a professional office with three conference rooms on the top floor of a major office building located just ten minutes from Fort Lauderdale International Airport. There are three hotels, restaurants, and world class shopping within walking distance of our facility, should officers and/or board members wish to hold their meetings at our office. Providing an inviting professional office space with qualified executive and administrative staff is part of our management package. With AMC Source, you can expect:
- Appropriate meeting space for occasional board or committee meetings as requested.
- Secure, on-site storage for financial records, legal documents, membership information, historical publications and other materials. Current off-site storage includes legacy copies of the on-site items in addition to books and historical records. We maintain an index and location of stored materials.
- A modern and fully equipped office with conference rooms for the association’s use, located in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
- Professional receptionists trained to answer custom phone lines in the association’s name
- Automated processes for operations and administration, including phone, fax, and
- Electronic files back-up
- File storage and records retention
- Transparent financial operations with oversight access and the ability to generate reports on demand
- Established processes for a smooth and seamless association management company transition
We support your organization as if it were our own. Though support means different things to different organizations, following is a general description of support services we offer.
- Maintain the member database for all members, update database, process payments, respond to inquiries, and send information to new members and current members as required. Currently the organization uses a web-based solution called “Your Membership.”
- Membership renews annually on a calendar-year basis (January 1 to December 31). Members joining during the year pay a pro-rated amount to align their membership renewal to a calendar-year basis, unless otherwise stated during membership promotions
- Prepare, fold and mail or e-mail information pieces as required
- Prepare a monthly electronic newsletter (member news and industry news) and distribute to members. The production of the current newsletter, “C2M Connections,” is outsourced.
- Using existing or new electronic marketing templates, add the narrative, and photos. Deliver these electronic notices for IMC USA-sponsored events (virtual and face-to-face educational events and meetings). The production of the current marketing templates is outsourced.
- Provide technical support services to host, facilitate and manage registration (log-in credentials) for virtual meetings and educational events. These services are currently outsourced.
- Provide support to maintain current website: updating content and creating new content, web pages and other related initiatives. Provide training and technical support services for chapter website administrators (typical term of website administrator is approximately one year).
Our philosophy of financial management is straightforward: we believe in transparency and accuracy. As part of our full-service management package, we will assist the Treasurer and Executive Committee in preparing a budget that is both ambitious and future-looking. Our protocol for fiscal management includes frequent dashboard reporting based on quality financial accounting systems that guarantee accurate accounting of income and expenses, reconciliations, and budgeted purchases. We ensure our association partners are PCI compliant and follow all generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) standards. Our aim is to make every dime work like a dollar.
- Process, record and deposit income from all sources including but not limited to member dues, conference registration, subscriptions, and royalties. Pay all bills with approval of the Treasurer.
- Manage chapter transactions and related reimbursements. Interface with chapter treasurers as needed.
- Prepare monthly financial reports and consolidated balance statements. Prepare year-end reports and any required regulatory filings.
- Assist in the annual budget development and reforecasting, as appropriate. Maintain an accurate accounting of income and expenses.
- Monitor and report on any deposits and investments.
- Process all card receipts.
- Arrange for annual review by an independent audit firm.
- Employ and maintain budget software that can be accessed easily by the Board.
Annual conferences are often an association’s flagship experience, and as such, responsibilities to plan a conference generally span the entire year before the event, requiring constant and concerted planning and a clear vision. We offer two decades of time-tested experience managing conferences, trade shows, and events. Our ability to manage the inherent complications in event management were forged in the fire of actual crisis that we resolved skillfully. Ours is not a theoretical knowledge, but an applied knowledge of site selection, contract negotiation, marketing, social media development, sponsorship procurement, format and agenda/sessions development, budgeting, participant billing, vendor payment, volunteer coordination, and on-site staffing.
Our skilled leadership and time-tested experience managing events has resulted in increased membership, enhanced awareness, non-dues revenue development, and cost savings. We have managed conferences and trade shows for up to 1,500 people, with more than 100 booths, 300 speakers. We have also organized dozens of tours and social functions, as well as concurrent VIP events. Additionally, we have organized mixers, networking socials, golf tournaments, awards ceremonies and independent conference consultants.
Regardless of the venue, theme, or size of the volunteer base, our goal is to maximize your conference experience while streamlining costs, increasing revenue, and practicing world-class service at every turn.
- Research future sites, organize visits by members of Board, if required, and negotiate prices and fees. Arrange to visit conference sites to assess rooms, meeting rooms, local amenities, etc. as required.
- Included in a typical contract are sleeping room prices, housing for VIPs (Comp. rooms), including the Board and speakers. Additional contract items include A-V equipment, overflow hotel, services for the hearing impaired, and exhibit space, possibly including a computer room.
- Working in conjunction with the program committee, develop a conference timetable that includes scheduling of sessions, speakers, committee meetings, and the use of A-V equipment.
- Provide support personnel to handle registration, badges, tickets for special events, monitor exhibits, set up and monitor displays, assist speakers, prepare signage, maintain a message board, coordinate work of volunteers and assists conference program chair and participants as required.
- Develop and/or update a prospectus to solicit vendors, exhibitors and sponsors.
- Develop registration materials, process advanced registrations, prompt participants to register via e-mail notification, process on–site registrations, distribute materials, badges, collect fees, track and report the number of people registered and actual attendance.
- Arrange for travel, complimentary rooms if appropriate, and transportation to and from the airport.
- Negotiate menu and prices for receptions, meeting rooms, and all meals usually including one gala celebration.
- Organize the participation of all exhibitors at the conference.
Conference Program Development
- Receive proposals for conference presentations and work with the Program Chair and Program Committee to develop a system for proposal review and program development.
- Enter and format data for speakers, session titles, participants, and abstracts. Develop electronic file for conference program.
- Send out acceptance and rejection letters to conference speakers.
- If required, solicit bids from printer and work with printer to produce and distribute conference program.
- Proofing and overseeing all final galleys in conjunction with the Program Chair.
Members are the lifeblood of any association and member engagement is key to sustaining and growing membership. AMC Source is uniquely qualified in this area and has extensive experience in membership marketing, recruitment, and retention as well as chapter development and relations. When building membership, we first identify key stakeholders and determine their professional priorities. Knowing what motivates participation in and creates a sense of value for members is critical when mapping a recruitment strategy. Equally important in increasing membership is clearly identifying trends and satisfaction levels while monitoring and reporting market penetration and active participation.
History proves that renewing members are great advocates and improve retention and recruitment efforts, so our plan would focus on providing increased value to existing members, encouraging renewals, and leveraging the momentum of increased membership numbers to recruit and activate additional members. Think of a snowball gathering traction and power as it rolls downhill!
Social media is one mechanism by which members can be engaged and informed. AMC Source has experts on staff with strategic social media expertise that can facilitate a social media plan for the association should this be of interest.
- Arrange for the editorial, design, layout and graphic arts
- Manage advertising sales
- Arrange for the printing
- Support the delivery by ensuring adequate-postage
- Provide electronic mailing address files
- Oversee production
- Work with the Publications Committee in the development of the budget and production schedule
- Be available to convert to an all electronic system to eliminate paper and mailings, if the Board chooses
- Provide coordination between the Publications Committee, Editor and Design/Graphics Consultant and Publisher
- Negotiate the printing costs
- Help set advertising rates
- Update and/or design media kits
- Manage advertising sales
- Help establish an Editorial Schedule
- Arrange for Professional Executive Editor and
- Design services
- Assist in and oversee the design, maintenance, and updating of client website and coordinate with any third party suppliers
We believe that education and credentialing is so important to the health of an association, we found and hired a Ph.D. curriculum developer. Should IMC USA wish to develop proprietary continuing education programs, our talented team of developers and designers can make this a reality. AMC Source staff are skilled in program evaluation, instructional methods, assessment standards for awarding credit, promotion and advertising of instructional programs.
For this aspect of the association’s management, we will:
- Maintain the membership database tracking for certification programs
- Provide assistance with the on-line
- certification applications
- Coordinate exam set-up
- Process applications and certification fees
- Coordinate all certification activities with chairperson
- Confirm receipt of applications
- Follow-up on missing or incorrect documentation
- Confirm re-certification and send certificates, letters and cards
- Provide required reports and notices.